If you are looking to start a new career in truck driving, there are a few questions you need to ask any recruiter before you get started. Here is a list of some things you need to know from any new employer:
Time on the Road
- What is your policy regarding pay while on the road? Will I be compensated for layovers? Am I paid by the hour or by the mile?
- Are most of your routes long hauls or shorter day trips? Can I choose my routes or will they be assigned?
- Will I be required to load and unload the truck? If so, how will I be compensated for my time? By the package, weight or hour?
- Can I bring my pet with me? If so, are there weight restrictions?
- What is your refueling policy? Will I be provided with a company card or will I get reimbursed?
- What are the benefits associated with this position? Medical, Vision, Dental?
- Are benefits available to me on the first day of employment or is there a waiting period?
- Are there additional benefits available like continuing education opportunities for additional training?
- Will the company help with my truck insurance payments?
- Do you have a paid time off policy?
- How often are performance reviews conducted?
- What are you looking for when giving raises?
- As I gain seniority, will new opportunities become available like preferred routes?
- What is the pay structure like as I become a seasoned driver?
- Is there a possibility to become part of management further down the road?
- Is there someone available in the home office 24/7 should I need assistance?
- When I am on the road, what is your policy for expenses like tolls, meals and overnight stays?
- Are there bonuses for spotless driving records?
- Does the company use an e-log?
- How large is the company and is it growing?
Asking the right questions can mean the difference between a job that you like and a job that you love. Contact us for more information about how you can get started in the truck driving industry! 303-848-8443