United States Truck Driving School > Career Training > What Can I Drive (or Not Drive!) with Each CDL Class?

What Can I Drive (or Not Drive!) with Each CDL Class?

Find the CDL that Fits Your Career Goals

In order to drive certain types of motor vehicles in America, the driver must posses a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Depending on the type of vehicle that you are looking to operate, you will either need to obtain a Class A, B, or C CDL license.

A Class A CDL will allow drivers to operate most vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more. It also gives the driver the right to operate most Class B and Class C vehicles with a few exceptions.

Vehicles That Can Be Operated With Class A CDL:

  • Tractor-trailers
  • Truck and Trailer Combinations
  • Double and Triple Trailers
  • Tractor-Trailer Buses
  • Tanker Vehicles
  • Livestock Carriers
  • Flatbeds
  • Box Trucks
  • Dump Trucks
  • Straight Trucks
  • Passenger Vans

The Class A CDL allows drivers to operate not only Class A vehicles, but drivers will also be able to operate all Class B and Class C vehicles as well. A couple of Class B and Class C vehicles require additional special endorsements before being able to operate with a Class A CDL though.

Vehicles That Require Special Endorsements:

  • Passenger Bus
  • School Bus

In order to operate a passenger bus or school bus, written tests and additional road skill tests will need to be completed. With the proper endorsements, a Class B CDL is the highest classification needed in order to operate a passenger bus and school bus.

Are you looking for more information on how to earn a commercial driver’s license? At United States Truck Driving School, we specialize in training for both a Class A CDL and Class B CDL.  Not sure which one is right for you? Contact us for more information on finding the CDL training program that fits your career goals!